Wednesday, June 22, 2011

MDB - Day 16 of the 30 Day Song Challenge

From MDB, "a song that you used to love but now hate":

30 Day Song Challenge - day 16 - a song that you used to love but now hate. I loved this song and this video when they came out. The band looked like they were having so much fun. But damn. I want to think of it as parody or satire, but the bridge verse about yearning to get over the border to collect welfare and the willingness to pimp out one's sister to make it happen is too much.

Genesis - Illegal Alien (1983)



Some the Facebook Comments:

MDB: Interestingly, the video skips the verse about the sister. Full song, verse about the sister willing to oblige starts at 3:13. http://youtu.be/AHaHKuwtQF
Kurt: Genesis, one of my all time favorites! They have one of the best live shows I have ever seen.
Mark: Naw, this is funny.
Christine: I need to start paying attention to lyrics. Seriously had no idea that is what they were saying. It's quite comical. Phil Collins does have a fantastic voice, though. I love that you're doing this song challenge by the way!
MDB: It is funny, and that's much of what's sad about it.
Chris: classic. too bad this song contradicts itself it many ways these days.

1 comment:

Ellie said...

I used to love Van Halen, Ice Cream Man. What a stupid song that is now!! Although I still sing it if I ever hear it on the radio!!