Sunday, June 8, 2008

Play and Feed: FreeRice.Com

Thom Hartmann was interviewing someone at the United Nations this week who mentioned a learning/food giving site associated with Poverty.com called aptly FreeRice.com. It is vocabulary building for child, student, adult, and senior, and it will automatically set and adjust your level by how you answer or you can manually adjust the settings.

You are given a word and four definitions. If you are correct, 20 grains of rice are donated by the sponsors whose banners are displayed. (You see the rice mount up.) There is a little speaker which will pronounce the word if you click it, helpful. (I've been mispronouncing or perhaps alternatively pronouncing some words: AARgh!) I keep a running list of missed words or words I want to check further. The FAQ says the highest level is 60 but most don't get past 50. So far my best level has been 48 -- but I've only been playing two days. More important, I've help donate over 4000 grains of rice! Beat me!

I've added a smaller button to my side bar for your/my ease when this post gets buried, but try it now:

Help end world hunger

No comments: