Mix together these ingredients:
3/4 Cup shortening (melted, cooled a bit) /
OR butter, softened
1 Cup sugar
1/4 Cup molasses
Sift or whisk together in separate bowl:
2 t baking soda
2 Cups flour
1/2 t ground cloves
1/2 t ground ginger (or 1 t)
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t salt
- Add dry ingredients to wet mixture, a bit at a time.
- Chill for an hour or so (metal bowl helps).
- Roll into small balls and roll balls in sugar.
- Bake on greased cookie sheet at 375 degrees 8 to 10 minutes.
- Leave on sheet a minute or so then remove to wire rack to cool.
Made with shortening, the cookies may harden to ginger snaps after a few days but the butter version stays pretty moist unless you bake them longer. Storing in cookie tins works well.
I made these to give to folks stopping at our Kiwanis table at the Richmond Hill Park Fair.